At St Mary's, we are very proud of our sporting achievements. We compete in a variety of different sports including High Fives, Football, Tag Rugby and Athletics.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and sees money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Our school receives on average £8000 per school year for this activity.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary Schools’ Sports Funding page.
In 2015/16 we received £8000 Sports Premium Funding. The funding was used to provide Staff CPD in swimming, gymnastics and dance, a wider provision of outdoor pursuits and play equipment.
In 2015/16, the focus was on using the funding to:
* Continue to develop the outdoor equipment provided for our children
* Develop all children’s swimming ability with a commitment to giving all children access to this life skill
* Increase the levels of participation of extra curricular competitive sport both in and out of school with additional after school club provision
* Provide further opportunities for children to try new sports and activities with the use of external coaches
* Continue to develop teacher confidence in the delivery of PE
A full report showing the impact of this funding can be downloaded from the link below.
Next year (2016/17), we intend to focus on using the funding to:
* To complete purchase and install replacement trim trail on all-weather surface for all year round use by all children
* To purchase replacement football/high-fives kit for team identification at matches/tournaments
* To purchase new equipment, keeping resources updated
* To continue to develop all children’s swimming ability, including booster swimming for the less able
* To provide further opportunities for all children to try new sports (Tai Kwondo, climbing)